I love to make banana bread and banana muffins and chocolate-covered bananas and banana cream pie, well, you get the idea – anything with bananas! So I thought why not use my banana bread recipe, change it up slightly, and cook it in my waffle iron. Voila, I had Banana Bread Waffles! Cool!
Banana Bread Waffles
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs (you can whip egg whites for fluffier texture)
- 1 6-oz. vanilla yogurt (I use fat free)
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups milk (can use almond milk as well)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups flour, sifted (I use 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Pecans, chopped (optional)
Crumb sugar and shortening together. Add the eggs, yogurt, milk and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in mashed bananas.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix into banana-egg mixture.
Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray or, using pastry brush, brush on a small amount of shortening. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill waffle iron with batter. Cook until desired doneness is reached. Remove and top with maple syrup and pecans.
Batter can be stored in refrigerator for up to one week. Stir before using.
You may also cook up all waffles and heat again in toaster for quick breakfasts. The kids might even like eating them as they are or place ice cream in-between two and let them enjoy a delicious waffle ice cream sandwich.