Once in a while my husband and I like to have a meatless meal just for a nice change-up. Black beans are such a good source of protein, 1 cup offers about 30% of your daily protein requirement, as well as providing high percentages of iron, folate and fiber, that they are always one of our top choices for just such a meal. Black beans have also been recognized as providing health benefits for the digestive tract and the colon. Research has found that eating 3 cups of legumes a week will provide optimal health benefits.
I adapted this recipe from one I found on Once Upon A Chef and it proved to be absolutely over-the-top delicious! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. By the way, this also makes an excellent side dish for fish or chicken dinners.
Black Bean Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.25 oz. can sweet corn, drained (of which you use about 3/4 can)
- 1 orange, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 lime, juiced (about 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped + additonal for garnish
- 1 Haas avocado, chopped
Mix all of the above ingredients together, except avocado, and place in refrigerator for flavors to mix for about 6 hours.
To serve: Prepare avocado and gently mix into salad. Let sit for an hour at room temperature, garnish with additional cilantro, and serve.
Note: By rinsing or soaking the beans you can reduce the flatulence-related substances by as much as 33%.