Today is National Strawberry Shortcake Day and one of my top 3 desserts of all time! It’s a simple classic that can be served at any occasion. Pair with a sweet white wine such as Reisling or Moscato for a perfect treat.
Serves: 9 – Prep Time: 25 minutes – Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped Cream
- 1.5 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In mixing bowl, beat sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture along with milk.
- Spread mixture into a greased 9″ x 9″ square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Cut into 9 squares. Split each square horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake and garnish with more strawberries and whipped cream. Serve immediately.